Last summer's cold and rain (new local record for both) did not agree with the hibiscus: the buds fell off and after I planted it, it just sat there until fall. The Buddleia grew a bit, but did not flower. Again, not a happy camper.
Now, after a very cold winter with prolonged cold snaps like we hadn't seen in over a decade, spring has been cool to cold and fairly dry, so many plants are very late. I'm still in daffodil season here and the last tulips have only just faded (yep, mid June), so there is as yet no sign of life on the Buddleia and hibiscus... I don't think they will still be alive. It was a really tough winter even for hardy plants and they are beyond borderline. The lilac is very weak, but still alive. No blooms last year and, given its present condition, I'm not expecting any this year. Maybe next year? The hydrangea was in fairly poor shape by the time I got it planted (it seemed to react to shipping by losing most of its lower leaves), but it did bloom lightly last summer. It is coming up nicely, but of course no buds yet.
Hope this helps!
Larry
No comments:
Post a Comment