Hmm...it feels like employee evaluation time here. Strengths before weaknesses, I'm told. Well, here goes.
The Hibiscus 'Blue Chiffon' bloomed all summer in Brampton. It's beautiful blue flowers delighted visitors. It made it through the winter with flying colours. It didn't grow very much from last year, but this isn't a drawback for me. From what I remember from plant biochemistry/plant metabolism classes, slower growing plants live a long time.
The Hydrangea 'Moonlight' grew well last year, and it survived the winter. No flowers last year. I think the blooms will make all the difference in the excitement factor. Without blooms, it's just an OK plant.
The biggest disappointment, for me, was the Buddleia X 'Lo and Behold Blue Chip.' What a mutty little underperformer. It did bloom prolifically, but the blooms weren't that interesting. And of course, it return my lack of enthusiasm for its performance by curling up its toes and dying. Yup, folks, it didn't overwinter. At Loblaws President's Choice summer event, Liz Primeau let it slip that her Buddleia didn't overwinter either.
Well, see you later. Today is a scorcher. Luckily I've watered all my plants and they are just loving it. Have a great summer everyone!
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
My first ever blog, and belated for last year's trial. I had the reverse experience from the one currently at the top of the group.
My hydrangea was strong and sturdy, thouuuuugh compact and no blooms. Made it well thru the winter, zone 3 but there's probably a slightly warmer microclimate there. Now a rabbit or something has found it and there are only about six leaves left.
The buddleia is sweet, had flowers before the iris this spring (none last year) and still blooming. I agree thelilac-like flowers aren't outstanding.
The miniature lilacs bloomed constantly last summer, were in slightly open beds and were totally dead this spring. The blooms on each flowerstarted to die off at the top or bottom before the flower was fully opened. I don't think it was getting too much water but I was having to water every third night or so, with lots of heat.
The hibiscus didn't bloom. A colleague brought a shrub sized hibiscus to the office, and since mine wouldn't make it thru the winter I decided to bring mine indoors at home,clipping it back a bit.The cleaning woman cut the stems further down, right to the leaf, and I'm wondering if that's why there has been absolutely no growth since I brought it indoors in October.
I'm mostinterested in seeing what my one hydrangea does, but must find a screen to cover it. I like the small leaves on the buddleia, but not the boring mauve too much.
It's been interesting watching and waiting. I didn't realize people were blogging all this time.
smokebush
Post a Comment